Skip to main content

A Generation of Bird Watchers, a poem by Becky Laurenzana

A Generation of Bird Watchers
by Becky Laurenzana



The distant dove cries
The cardinal the color of blood rests on a worn fence
Fluttering wings like eyelashes
Opening to this complicated world
Through a torn screen
Damage left from a raging storm from tumultuous seasons past
Yet the beauty is beyond the screen
It is in the generation of bird watchers
Each spring we perch
In distant cities
In distant countrysides
In different spaces of time
When I come to this window the pitter-patter of my heart connects
A little boy staring at his grandpa’s bird books
A grandpa holding his granddaughters hand walking through quiet pastures
Only the bird’s song connects
The man packing combat fatigues listening to the chirp amidst the scream of city sirens
The suburban woman staring through the screen
Eye-lids fluttering in harmony with bird wings
Yet the beauty is beyond the screen
It is in the generation of bird watchers


From Becky Laurenzana: I hold a B.A. in English from Franklin College in Franklin, Indiana, where I studied poetry and creative writing. In recent years, I’ve studied creative nonfiction with writer editor Julianna Thibodeaux at the Indiana Writers Center. I’m a yoga teacher by day and writer by night. Much of my inspiration for poetry comes from the quiet moments on my mat in nature. I reside in Greenwood, Indiana.