Skip to main content

Stillborn Love Song, a poem by Norbert Krapf

Stillborn Love Song
by Norbert Krapf

I love you when
the dusk thickens,
evening falls in every
direction, and the dove
coos ever more forlorn.

I love you when
October air turns crisp
and smoke rises like
the breath of angels
from the chimneys.

I love you, stillborn sister,
when everything turns so quiet
the only sound I can hear
is the settling of snowflakes
on branches above my head.

I love you most when
All Souls Day returns
and the veil between
your world and mine lifts

and your spirit breath
drifts back down to earth
and touches these lips
waiting for your kiss.

Bio: Norbert Krapf, a Jasper, Indiana, native, was Indiana Poet Laureate 2008-10, received a Glick Indiana Author Award 2014 (Regional), and held a Creative Renewal Fellowship from the Arts Council of Indianapolis 2011-12 to combine poetry and the blues. His latest of 11 poetry collections is Catholic Boy Blues: A Poet's Journal of Healing (ACTA Publications, In Extenso Imprint, 2015). He collaborates with bluesman Gordon Bonham.