Skip to main content

If I'd Been Starry-Eyed, a prose poem by Lylanne Musselman


If I’d Been Starry-Eyed
by Lylanne Musselman

Once upon a time I had a poet as a suitor. I was too young to appreciate the gesture of having poems written for and about me. I was only 14 years old, so what could I know except the mantra from my mom about looks and money? He had neither at 16, but he was nice. Heartbroken and sad, he eventually moved on, leaving me to search for Mr. Right. After years of having my heart broken and being sad, I see I was misguided. My romantic, creative side could’ve had a soulmate who loves what I create, and I could’ve fallen for him as some fairy tale loves have been known to do. Our same road not taken led us down different life paths; I’ll never know what could’ve become of those two kids who enjoyed summer night walks, seeing who could count the most stars; who strummed guitars side by side, and dreamed Midwest magic, but whose lyrical hearts never quite harmonized together.


Lylanne Musselman is an award-winning poet, playwright, and artist, living in Indiana. Her work has appeared in Pank, Flying Island, Tipton Poetry Journal, The New Verse News, and The Ekphrastic Review, among others, and many anthologies. Musselman is the author of five chapbooks, including the recent Red Mare 16 (Red Mare Press, 2018), a co-author of the volume of poetry, Company of Women: New and Selected Poems, (Chatter House Press, 2013) and author of the new full-length poetry collection, It’s Not Love, Unfortunately (Chatter House Press, 2018).