Skip to main content

Hey, Moon!, a poem by Doris Lynch

Hey, Moon!
      by Doris Lynch

Before I was born, my parents rolled
your clay in the translucent ether

but like a sea urchin you
spurted away from them.

During girlhood I cut you into
pristine wedges, rags to catch

menstrual blood but you changed into
a stream and cascaded away.

Later, while lovemaking, I propped you
on a pillow but my hipbones slashed

your lunar flesh and you jerked away.
When I gave birth, you duplicated yourself

and became breasts spurting milk, but
when I looked up, both you and baby

had disappeared. Now I search the night
sky for sign of you but find only small relics,

cold to the touch, barely bright enough for eyes.


Doris Lynch has recent work in Frogpond, Modern Haiku, Tipton Poetry Journal and in the anthology Cowboys & Cocktails: Poetry from the True Grit Saloon.  The Indiana Arts Commission awarded her three individual artist's grants, and she has worked as a librarian and an Ivy-Tech creative writing instructor.